how to make a donut happy!

01materials

I tend to craft late at night since I’m typically in front of a computer geeking out and designing full-time during the day. So, when I get home at night, I like to step away from the screen and say hello to my sewing machine.

What better way to cheer myself up than to make a Happy Donut? You can put happy faces on just about anything, too, but if you want to make a donut happy, here are some things you’ll need:
  • craft felt in your favorite donut flavor
  • 6mm solid black plastic eyes (9mm works, too)
  • heavy duty thread (in brown, pictured above)
  • scissors
  • needle
I’ve already got my donut shape cut out, but you’ll probably be starting out with a piece of felt. You can typically pick up 9″ x 12″ sheets of felt at craft stores. To start, cut two 5-inch squares. From these squares, cut out circles measuring about 4.5 inches in diameter. Then cut out a smaller (1 inch) hole in the middle.

02sewing

With these two donut shapes laid on top of each other, sew them together on the outer edge only.


03insideout

Once you’ve sewn the outer edge, turn the donut inside out.


04markeyes

I like to take a marker and make two dots where I think the eyes should go. Don’t make the dots too big since you’ll be covering these dots up with your 6mm black plastic eyes. Once you’ve made these dots, make a tiny tiny snip with your scissors on each dot so that you’ll have a place to slip in the plastic eyes.


05applyeyes

These solid black plastic eyes come with what basically looks like a screw and washer. Poke the black “screw” eye through your little dotted hole; on the back side of the fabric, you’ll be able to push the white washer part on top of the screw part to keep the eye fastened to the fabric.


06thread

Once you have your eyes on, thread your needle and knot it on the end. I do double thread my needle when using it for smiles and happiness.


07smile

Poke your needle from the inside of the donut (the backside of the front fabric) and start making your smile. Some kind of backstitch will work, and about four visible stitches on the donut’s face will usually make for a good curvy smile. I usually just use my best judgment — I’ve never really been one to use patterns, guides, or many markings.

Once you have a good smile on, tie a knot on the inside of the donut and snip the thread.


08happydonut

Happiness achieved!



See more kawaii goodness from Mayene Design! 


1 comment: