diy upcycled hair accessory display


  Today's guest post is brought to you by Melanie from Violet's Buds.

Last summer, I attended Strawberry Swing Indie Craft Fair with Violet's Buds accessories. After attending Zeleny in the spring, I knew I needed to do something to improve my setup. I wanted to have a cohesive display without spending a lot of money, and make it "mine."


I love going to garage sales (or garage sale-ing as we call it) and thrift stores. I also find it important to reuse & re-purpose items as much as possible. This summer I came across many good wooden photo frames priced between $.10 to $1.00. Some frames didn't have a back, most didn't have glass, but that was fine with me!
 

I started by painting each of the frames an-off white color, using Craftsmart "Vanilla" acrylic paint. Each frame took 2 coats (with drying time in between), but I wanted sort of a worn, weathered look so I wasn't too particular about getting the coats even. A couple frames were too perfect-looking so I took a nail file to them in a few spots.

While the frames were drying, I worked on the backing for the inside of the frame. Using fabrics I had on hand, I covered the cardboard insert for each frame. (Any frame that came without the insert, I measured & cut one from our cardboard recycling stash). To easily cover the cardboard, I cut the fabric at least .5 inch wider on each side than the board. Once the fabric is cut, it is really important to iron it! You won't be able to get the wrinkles out once you secure it to the cardboard.


Next, I took the wrinkle-free fabric, laid it wrong side up, and placed the cardboard on top. I applied a bead of hot glue to the cardboard and secured the fabric to the board all the way around, pulling the fabric taut as I went. Then using scrap ribbon, lace, & bias tape I made the "hangers" that my hair accessories would clip to. I measured & used hot glue to secure each strip to the back of the cardboard.


Once the painted frame dried, & the cardboard insert was covered, I assembled the frames. I had to improvise with a few of the frames missing the backs and secured the cardboard insert with packing tape. Finally, I clipped the hair accessories to the holder strips in each frame.


I was very pleased with how the display came together, and I had fun crafting the display too!



These frame displays would work well as hair bow holders in a little girl's room. The frame could be painted any color, then using fabric to match her decor.

I'd love to hear what you think, and if you use this tutorial feel free to tweet pictures of your projects to @daft_crafts or @violetsbuds - we would love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment