top products - Scrawny Girl's picks

Howdy! I'm Shawna the artist behind Scrawny Girl & I'm sharing my top product picks for watercolor art today!

I have a BFA in Studio Art, which means I took at least one class in most things arty. I used to work in a pottery studio and teach art lessons to children in a private studio, but now I'm a stay at home mom living the dream....

 I get asked regularly about my process and the products I use. Today I hope to shed some light on what it is I do and inspire you to pick up a paintbrush!

 Paint palette

Watercolor normally involves mixing colors and needing a way to keep those colors separate. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, you could even use an ice cube tray.

  DSCN3227 2.

Paints

In college I only used tube paints. The brands I currently use are Grumbacher and Van Gogh. These are highly pigmented and will last you a long time, but are a bit on the pricey side. I just recently purchased the Angora water color cakes to save me time on mixing/recreating colors. Both of these can give you super saturated colors, just by using less water.

  DSCN3228 3.

Brushes.

There are so many to choose from, and it really depends on personal preference. Two brands I'm using right now are Grumbacher and Winsor & Newton Cotman. 4. Ink pens. I go through ink pens like crazy. Right now I'm using Sakura Pigma Sensei and Micron pens. I hope to switch over to Copic markers in the near future!

  DSCN3234 5.

Graphite paper.

As a lefty I smear pencil lead everywhere! In college a professor told me to transfer my sketches to my nice paper/canvas using graphite paper - or learn to draw from right to left.

 Sketchbooks/paper.

I currently use a multi media paper to paint on because that's what I've gotten used to, but I also use watercolor paper from time to time. Again just depends on what you prefer. I recommend trying different types of papers to find out what you like.

  DSCN3239

All the products I use can be found at your local hobby store or Amazon. Check back next week for a peek into my process!

connect with Shawna


What are your favorite watercolor supplies or brands? Share them in the comments! 

6 comments:

  1. I love this post! What a treat to learn the tools of the trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always fascinated by other artists process/tools. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's interesting to see how other people do arty things!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing lists like this! I just unearthed a box of Grumbacher water colors from when I was in college and I've been wanting to do something with them! It's been a long time since I've painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this it was very helpful, and I am very excited to use you're advice

    ReplyDelete